What You Need to Know About the Left Turn Auto Accident
Most auto accidents are avoidable when drivers pay close attention to the road and the other vehicles around them. Following the traffic laws, including watching your blind spots and being aware of sharing the road with motorcycles, could eliminate thousands of accidents every year. The left turn auto accident is one type of accident in particular that is very common.
The Left Turn Auto Accident
There are unique factors surrounding the left turn accident. Unlike most right turns, when drivers make a left turn they have a tendency to accelerate into it because of the wider radius. Instinctively, drivers pick up speed to make the turn. More goes into a left hand turn then a right turn. Drivers need to apply more mental and physical effort into making the turn. Statistics show that older adults are at greater risk in making these turns than younger drivers.
Left turn auto accidents also occur as a result of blind spots created by the “A-pillars” of the vehicle. These are the supports that support the roof of the car and hold the windshield in place. The A-pillars can prevent the driver from seeing other vehicles or pedestrians. Parked cars can also obstruct the view of traffic coming from the left.
Liability and the Left Turn Auto Accident
The left turn auto accident is one of the most serious accidents on the charts. Out of all types of accidents, 36% occur as the result of a left turn. This type of accident is also one of the most common accidents involved in collisions between motorcycles and other vehicles.
Unless the driver is turning on a green left arrow, he or she does not have the right of way. As a result, a driver turning left must wait for oncoming traffic to pass before completing the turn.
Preventing Left Turn Auto Accidents
Few people are aware of the dangers that left turns present. In order to prevent a left turn auto accident, drivers must be extra cautious when making this hazardous maneuver. Tips for a safe left turn:
- Use your turn signal; activate it before you make the turn.
- Exercise patience; it may be a waiting game, but it is better to be safe than sorry.
- Exercise clear judgement; before starting your turn make sure you have enough time to cover the distance.
- Make sure you have a clear view before you turn; be aware of any obstructions like the A-pillar, sun glare, parked cars or other hazards.
- Be aware of the speed of traffic in the area. Some vehicles are traveling faster than they appear.
- Obey traffic laws. If a left turn is prohibited, don’t try to turn anyway. Go to a different intersection where the left turn is permitted.
By following these tips, you may save a life; and the life you save may be your own.
The Tison Law Group provides a variety of legal services; among them is extensive experience in personal injury law. If you would like to schedule a consultation, contact us. We are located in Tampa, FL. Our attorneys provide excellent legal service based in honesty and integrity.