Close Menu
Schedule a Free Consultation Today 813-739-1776
9312 North Armenia Avenue, Tampa, FL 33612
Home > Catastrophic Injury Cases

Catastrophic Injury Cases

Catastrophic injuries are conditions that often result in severe disability, disfigurement, chronic pain or paralysis. Unfortunately, the sheer amount of pain and suffering and loss of joy of life that victims of catastrophic injuries are subjected to is too great to make up for by any amount of financial compensation. However, we urge such victims to act in their best interest now and prepare for their future by going after the maximum compensation possible, either through a settlement or lawsuit. The lawyers of the Tison Law Group are here to help you in this troubling time, and hope to bring some peace of mind regarding your financial worries at the very least.

Types of Catastrophic Injuries

Although many injuries can be catastrophic, the following list includes those that are frequently sustained by victims in Tampa Bay:

  • Traumatic brain injury (TBI);
  • Multiple fractured limbs;
  • Spinal cord damage resulting in paralysis or partial paralysis;
  • Flail lung, which occurs when the lung collapses due to multiple rib fractures;
  • Organ damage;
  • Loss of eyesight or hearing;
  • Severe facial trauma;
  • Serious lacerations or burns that cause permanent scarring or disfigurement;
  • Severed nerves; and
  • Other injuries that result in chronic and severe pain.

How the Injury Occurred Makes a Big Difference in Your Compensation

In Florida, there is shared negligence in most types of personal injury cases. Shared negligence means that both parties can be responsible for the incident. For example, when the defendant is 80 percent at fault and the plaintiff is found to be 20 percent at fault, the plaintiff’s compensation will be reduced by 20 percent and the other party will only be responsible for 80 percent of the damages. Common ways in which catastrophic injuries occur include:

  • Traffic collisions;
  • Dog bites or attacks;
  • Medical malpractice;
  • Slip, trip, and fall;
  • Other premises injuries;
  • Work related injuries and illnesses;
  • Toxic exposure;
  • Negligent security; and
  • Defective or dangerous consumer products.

If you have sustained a catastrophic injury in any of these situations, it is imperative that you reach out to an attorney immediately for help to ensure you recover the fair amount of damages that you deserve.

Caps on Medical Mistakes, Possibly No More

If your catastrophic injury was caused by medical malpractice, there may be a maximum that you can receive for non-economic damages (pain and suffering), as per Florida statute 766.118. This cap is set at $500,000 for most medical mistakes resulting in injury, and at $1,000,000 when the error results in death or complete vegetation of the victim. However, as reported by U.S. News & World Report, a court found that these caps were unconstitutional in 2017, which opens the doors for more plaintiffs to receive the true pain and suffering damages that they deserve.

The Catastrophic Injury Attorneys of the Tison Law Group Are Here to Help You Today

Damages that victims of catastrophic injuries can expect to receive go well beyond medical costs and lost wages and include past and future pain and suffering, emotional and psychological damages, loss of joy of life, lost earning ability, and more. To ensure that you are treated fairly by the negligent party’s insurance provider, you need to work with an attorney. Contact the Tampa catastrophic injury attorneys of the Tison Law Group today 813-739-1776 for experienced and compassionate legal assistance.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Google Plus

© 2018 Tison Law Group, Attorneys at Law. All rights reserved.

Contact Form Tab