Sustaining a serious injury can be a life-changing event. You will typically face the prospect of expensive medical treatments, possible surgery, and a potentially long recovery — or even permanent disability. When that injury was caused by the negligence of someone else, you must also deal with a stressful and complex legal process to pursue compensation for the expenses related to your injury. Filing an insurance claim is not likely to cover your costs — you need experienced legal support from the Tampa car accident attorneys at the Tison Law Group.
What to do immediately after the accident
Seeking immediate medical attention is your first priority after sustaining any serious injury. Your condition may not permit you to collect much information or evidence from the accident scene, but it is important to collect as much evidence as possible relating to the car accident and your injuries. Taking photographs of the vehicles involved and the location of the accident is important if possible and be sure to retain all medical reports and receipts as you undergo treatment and therapy. Even receipts for bandages, crutches and prescription or over-the-counter painkillers can be helpful.
Why You Should Work with a Tampa Bay Auto Accident Attorney
Many people hesitate to contact a car accident attorney after a crash, questioning whether or not working with an attorney is really necessary. While you have no legal obligation to contact an attorney, doing so can improve your chances of recovering the maximum amount of money that you are owed, and can also provide you with a sense of confidence and comfort throughout the process. Here are some important ways that our Tampa car crash attorneys can assist you after a car accident:
- Investigating your accident. Fault in a crash is not always clear, and even when it is, the right evidence must be collected to prove it. Fault, or negligence, can have a big impact on the amount of money that you receive in a settlement offer, and unless you prove the negligence of the other driver (or other at-fault party), you may be unable to recover any compensation at all. Our investigation starts as soon as you retain us on your accident. We will begin collecting evidence and interview witnesses. This includes physical evidence, pictures of the accident scene, police reports, video footage, witness statements, and more.
- Filing your claim. Filing a claim can be confusing. You may not know how to file your claim after an accident, or against whom. This is especially true if the accident was caused by a party other than another driver, such as the manufacturer of a defective auto part. Our Tampa car accident attorneys help you file your claim against the appropriate party in a timely manner.
- Proving damages. If you are injured in a crash and suffer losses, you may assume that the insurance adjuster responsible for processing your claim will recognize this and you’ll be compensated. Unfortunately, you will need to prove the full extent of your losses in order to recover any compensation. Our Tampa car crash attorneys can assist you in gathering medical bills, working with experts, and proving damages.
- Negotiating for a fair settlement offer. Frequently, insurance adjusters offer claimants less than they deserve, hoping that the claimant will take the money in desperation and frustration. When your settlement offer does not address the full amount of damages you have suffered, we will aggressively negotiate for a more suitable settlement amount.
- Taking your claim to court. When a settlement cannot be reached because an insurance carrier is being unreasonable, our car accident attorneys will file suit and take your case to trial if necessary.
Types of Car Accident Claims
Most car accidents happen because of negligence, which is the failure to exercise a certain level of caution while operating a vehicle. The Tampa car crash attorneys, along with your insurance company, will conduct a preliminary investigation to identify whether you were negligent or not.
To have the best chances of winning the case, your attorneys must prove that the defendant’s negligence caused the accident. Some examples are negligent drivers, reckless drivers, intoxicated drivers, passengers, pedestrians, and those drivers who text and drive.
If your vehicle or the defendant’s vehicle had a defect which contributed to the accident, the injured party may have a claim against the manufacturer of the vehicle or one of its many parts. If the car had a faulty manufacturing issue, the manufacturer can be held responsible regardless of who was actually at fault for the accident. The claims might include claims for Takita airbags, broken car seats or defective tires that hydroplane or explode.
Your attorneys must in general prove that the defect happened due to the manufacturing or possibly even design process. Usually they bring in expert testimony and analysis as evidence to prove that the defect caused or contributed to the accident. Successful lawsuits generally will require the plaintiff to show:
- The defective car or part was “unreasonably dangerous”
- The vehicle was otherwise being operated safely
- The vehicle’s performance had not changed since purchase
Then there’s faulty construction, design, or maintenance of roads. This can contribute to car crashes and have nothing to do with the drivers.
Types of Car Crash Injuries and Compensation You May Be Entitled To
The extent and severity of injuries suffered will be different with each individual case. In some cases, the costs of treatment for injuries may not be covered by insurance. The Tampa auto accident attorneys at the Tison Law Group will do everything we can to help you get the medical treatment you need that may include treatment and medical bills associated with injuries consisting of the following:
- Burns and scars
- Loss of limbs
- Spinal cord injuries
- Head injuries
- Joint, muscle, back, neck, and bone injuries
- Knee damage
- Permanent disability
If you are seeking additional compensation for damages, your attorney will approach the negligent party’s insurance company in an attempt to recover compensation to cover your remaining medical costs.
The success of your claim will likely depend on the ability of your attorney to collect, analyze, and present evidence. It can be challenging considering the opposing insurance company will clearly want to minimize their disbursement but we at Tison Law Group embrace the challenge of zealously representing injured victims.
Providing your attorney with as much information as possible can help your odds of winning the case. If your attorney and the insurance company cannot agree on a settlement, often the case may proceed to trial.
In addition to these, our experienced auto accident attorneys can help you obtain compensation for the following:
- Medical expenses
- Future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Loss of earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Loss of Enjoyment of Life
- Loss of consortium
- Punitive damages
- Wrongful death
Contact Our Tampa Bay Car Accident Lawyers for Help
At Tison Law Group, We are experienced auto accident attorneys. Let us use our extensive knowledge to help you gain the monetary compensation you deserve.