The Holiday Unsafe Toy List
In years gone by, shopping for holiday toys was a matter of the child choosing their toys out of the Sears wish book or going to the mall or department store. Toys distribution was often limited by geographical location and marketing. Today, just about anything can be found online and shipped, often arriving within a day or two of ordering. Toys come in more varieties this year than ever before. Parents are buying everything from dolls and trucks to remote controlled drones, and electronic devices and video game consoles. Even toddlers get their own baby game and learning digital screen pads. With the growing types of kid’s toys, there are more moving parts and ways a toy can go wrong and become dangerous.
How are Toys Deemed Unsafe?
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission keeps track of unsafe toy reports and statistics. They come out with regular reports of product safety hazards and list how these products are shown to be problematic. Some of the ways a toy can be deemed unsafe include:
- Choking hazard with small parts that detach
- Fall hazard for toy or riding vehicles and exercise equipment
- Drowning from pool toys
- Cuts from sharp edges
- Ingestion, internal damage
- Poisoning – lead causes neurological and other serious problems
Top Unsafe Toys for 2018
The World Against Toys Causing Harm organization (WATCH) releases a “10 Worst Toys list” every year. This year the top toys deemed dangerous include:
- Nickelodeon Nella Princess Knight Pillow Pets Sleeptime Lites- Battery ingestion danger.
- Nerf Vortex VTX Praxis Blaster- Projectiles; potential eye and face injury.
- Marvel Black Panther Slash Claw- Sharp edges.
- Power Rangers Super Ninja Steel Superstar Blade- Projectile; sharp edges.
- Cabbage Patch Kids Dance Time Doll- Choking hazard.
- Zoo Jamz Xylophone- Choking hazard.
- Nici Wonderland Doll: Miniclara The Ballerina- Choking hazard.
- Stomp Rocket Ultra Rocket- Projectile; potential eye and face injury.
- Cutting Fruit- Potential blunt trauma injury.
- Chien A Promener Pull Along Dog- Strangulation hazard.
If your child or family member has been injured due to an unsafe toy, you may be entitled to compensation. Contact Tison Law Group immediately to speak with a defective product attorney.